robbsblog

Friday, August 26, 2005

Dinner with the professor

Thursday was pay day. That's always called "zangyo zero" no overtime. Everyone goes home at 5:30. This time people actually obeyed, as the typhoon was supposed to roll in soon. Already was windy and rainy. Last month the department all went out for sushi, this time only Kita san and my boss remained. Kita is a bona fide alcoholic and never refuses invitations, he's already destined for the oden shop as stop #1. So the three of us had dinner there, or actually 2 people ate. I paid the bill, a big gesture since they usually do that but I was overdue. It was about $100, I was still hungry. We went to an old prewar building that is now a bourbon specialty bar. Had some Old Granddad and blue cheese, mixed nuts, then went home in the calm before the storm rolled in a few hours later.

Friday Professor Hoshi came to town, so some of the SD alumni organized a party at an okonomiyaki shop in Suidobashi, near Tokyo Dome. It was lots of fun meeting Japanese alumni, then a chat with the professor, who is one of the most famous Japanese economists. My old neighbor T from SD was there, and we had to ride the train home together. He works at the Ministry of Economy/Trade/Industry, overseeing 26 people. He said about 5+ of those people do nothing, but can't be fired and aren't good workers. Anyways if he gave them work, he'd be busier than already. Anyways at my station I got hungry and went to the ramen shop that's a dive and always plays Beatles. By now it was midnight and most people were drunk and half asleep. The place was full, and people were smoking while waiting for their food. I got a fried chicken fried rice with soup, and was shocked that I finished it all. Just before I left a guy came in and ordered a huge meal. Then he put his head on the counter and fell asleep. The waitress brought his food, woke him up, and he started eating. I left, stumbled home, and crashed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home